Bart Piet Knijnenburg
Email: email@example.com (personal)
Human-Centered Computing (Assistant Professor, tenure track)
School of Computing, College of Engineering and Science, Clemson University
September 2010 – July 2015
Donald Bren School of Informatics and Computer Sciences, University of California, Irvine, CA, USA
Advisor: Alfred Kobsa
Dissertation: “A user-tailored approach to privacy decision support”, can be found at www.usabart.nl/portfolio/dissertationbart.pdf
Human-Technology Interaction (MSc)
September 2007 – June 2009 (graduated with top honors)
Department of Technology Management, Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Thesis: “Adaptive Advice”, can be found at library.tue.nl/catalog/LinkToVubis.csp?DataBib=6:653921
Human-Computer Interaction (MHI)
September 2006 – 2007 (graduated with a GPA of 3.96)
School of Computer Science, Carnegie Mellon University (CMU), Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Final project: “Fiesta: A Social Event Planning System for Google”, can be found at www.hcii.cmu.edu/M-HCI/2007/Google
Innovation Sciences (BSc)
September 2002 – 2005 (graduated with top honors)
Faculty of Technology Management, TU/e, Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Final project: “Cognitive Modeling Tools for User Interface Design”
Kobsa, A., Cho, H., Knijnenburg, B.P.: The Effect of Personalization Provider Characteristics on Privacy Attitudes and Behaviors: An Elaboration Likelihood Model Approach. Paper accepted to the Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology (JASIST), download here.
Full conference papers
Previous work experience
Teaching associate at UC Irvine
January 2014 - March 2014
Job description: Developed a new syllabus and project assignments for the Information and Computer Sciences course “ICS4: Human Factors for the Web”. The course featured a main project that introduced students to human-computer interaction, market research methods, user-centered product design, and prototyping. In 10 weeks, students were challenged to design an interface that enables users perform an existing task (e.g. signing up for classes) in a radically new way.
Internship project for Samsung Information Systems America
June 2012 – December 2012 and July 2013 – September 2013
Job description: Development and execution of several research projects on adaptive privacy decision support. One track involved developing a thorough understanding of users‘ decision making processes in location sharing services, and developing an adaptive procedure to support such decisions. The other track involved a series of studies on the dimensionality and context-dependence of online information disclosure. Patent applications on both tracks are in progress. The original three-month summer internship was so succesful that it was extended for another three months during the academic year, and renewed during the next summer. In 2014, I co-advised Samsung interns as a remote consultant.
Several teaching assistantships at UC Irvine
September 2011 - June 2012
Courses: User Interaction Software for Don Patterson (grading assignments, leading practicums, teaching several lectures), Human-Computer Interaction for Alfred Kobsa (grading assignments and final), Senior Design Project for Hadar Ziv and Judith Olson (grading assignments, project coaching, teaching several lectures).
Internship project for Ericsson
June 2011 – September 2011
Job description: Development and execution of a research project investigating different justification messages for empowering users to make better decisions about disclosing privacy-sensitive information in the context of a mobile app recommender system. Conducting an online experiment with a simple prototype of the system and semi-structured interviews with a paper-based prototype.
Researcher and Teacher at TU/e
June 2009 – September 2010
Job description: Field trial coordinator for the MyMedia FP7 project on multimedia recommender systems. Co-teacher of the “Thinking and Deciding” Bachelor-level course. Coach of two “Design Track A” student projects.
Interaction Designer at Aduna
December 2007 – June 2009 (2 days/week)
Job description: Incrementally designing new interaction techniques for AutoFocus, Aduna Enterprise Search and Intella (digital investigation), using short prototype design cycles alternated with user feedback from concept validation and think aloud tests. Interaction design consultancy projects for Aduna customers. Designing website and promotional materials.
Education Officer of Study Association “Intermate”
May 2005 – May 2006 (full-time)
Job description: Intermate is the Study Association of the BSc study “Innovation Sciences” and the MSc studies “Human Technology Interaction” and “Technology and Policy”. The Education Officer is responsible for the student input in the Faculty’s policy and everyday affairs.
Several teaching and research assistantships at TU/e
Totaling over 600 hours from September 2003 to June 2006
Courses: Pre-Master Research Methods (teaching SPSS), Social Psychology (research assistant), Cognition (developing new course material, yearly guest lecture about cognition and technology), Social Science Applications of Simulation Studies (creating simulations of social phenomena), Research Methods: Measurement (weekly instructions), Fundamentals of Physics (class demonstrations and intermediary tests).
Awards and other activities
- Samsung Research America research gift ($50,000) for work on improving household Internet-of-Things users’ privacy decisions.
- Semi-finalist in the 2015 UCI Grad Slam-Graduate Research Presentation Competition.
- Group runner-up in the 2015 Associated Graduate Students Symposium at UC Irvine.
- Best Paper Award at the Pre-ICIS Workshop on HCI Research in MIS (SigHCI) 2013.
- Recipient of the 2013 Google PhD Fellowship in Privacy. This highly prestigeous scholarship was awarded to only 39 of the "most promising young academics in the world".
- Honorable Mention for our full paper at the 2013 ACM International Joint Conference on Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing.
- Best Thesis award of the Department of Technology Management, 2009.
- Nominated for the Dutch CHI “Gerrit van der Veer” Thesis Award 2009.
- Best Short Paper Award at the 2009 ACM Conference on Recommender Systems.
- Awarded second place in the first round of the TNO “Not Invented Yet” design competition with the project “PicturePal” (developed at CMU).
- Granted a full Talent Scholarship by the Nuffic Huygens Scholarship Programme, which paid for my education at Carnegie Mellon University.
- Selected as one of the three most promising students of my university to join the Eurotop for Top Students, a three-day international conference on the future of European education.
- Presenter of the IEEEVR2016 tutorial on Structural Equation Modeling for Human-Subject Experiments in Virtual and Augmented Reality, Greenville, SC.
- Presenter of the IUI2016 tutorial on Evaluating Intelligent User Interfaces with User Experiments, Sonoma, CA.
- Nominated speaker at TEDxUCIrvine 2015.
- Keynote speaker of the workshop on "Human Decision Making in Recommender Systems" (Decisions@Recsys2013).
- Keynote speaker at the CSCW 2013 workshop on Measuring Networked Privacy.
- Presenter of the RecSys2012 tutorial on Conducting User Experiments in Recommender Systems.
- Selected speaker at the first UC Irvine AGS Symposium.
- Selected speaker at the first TEDxUCIrvine event.
- Keynote speaker of the workshop on "User-Centric Evaluation of Recommender Systems and Their Interfaces 2" (UCERSTI::2) at RecSys 2011, Chicago.
- Social Media co-chair of the ACM SigCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI) 2017
- Workshop co-chair of the ACM conference on Intelligent User Interfaces (IUI) 2017
- Student volunteer co-chair of the ACM Recommender System conference (RecSys) 2016
- Proceedings chair of the ACM conference on Intelligent User Interfaces (IUI) 2016
- Organizer of the SOUPS 2015 workshop on “Privacy Personas and Segmentation” (PPS)
- Student volunteer co-chair of the 2015 iConference
- Track chair of the International Conference on HCI in Business (HCIB) 2015
- Proceedings chair of the ACM Recommender System conference (RecSys) 2014
- Organizer of the RecSys 2010 workshop on "User-Centric Evaluation of Recommender Systems and Their Interfaces" (UCERSTI)
Program committee and review board memberships
- Journals: ACM Transactions on Interactive Intelligent Systems (TiiS, special issue on Human Interaction With Artificial Advice Givers), Information Systems Journal (ISJ, special issue on Reframing Privacy), New Review of Hypermedia and Multimedia (special issue on Human Aspects of Making Recommendations in Social and Ubiquitous Networking Environment)
- Conferences: Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS) 2017 Big Data Engineering Minitrack, Internationale Tagung Wirtschaftsinformatik (WI) 2017, AMCIS 2016 Interface Design Evaluation and Impact mini-track, IEEE International Conference on Social Computing and Networking (SocialCom) 2016, International World Wide Web Conference (WWW) 2016 Behavioral Analysis and Personalization track, International Conference on Financial Cryptography and Data Security (FC) 2016, International Conference on HCI in Business (HCIB) 2016, iConference 2016, PACIS 2016 special track on User-Centered Decision Support Systems in the IoT Era, FLAIRS RecSys special track 2015 and 2016, iConference 2016, Privacy Enhancing Technologies Symposium (PETS) 2015-2017, ACM Conference on Recommender Systems (RecSys) 2015 and 2016, European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS) 2015, Conference on User Modeling, Adaptation and Personalization (UMAP) 2014-2016, ASE International Conference on Social Computing (SocialCom) 2014, Information Interaction in Context conference (IIiX) 2014, International Conference on Electronic Commerce and Web Technologies (EC-Web) 2013, AAAI Conference on Weblogs and Social Media (ICWSM) 2013, European Interactive TV Conference (EuroITV) 2010
- Workshops: Decsisions@RecSys, RepSys and BARS (RecSys 2013); REDD and IntRS (RecSys 2014), Social Personalization (Hypertext 2014), IoT Privacy (ASIACCS 2015), Future of Networked Privacy (CSCW 2015), USEC (NDSS 2015), RecSys special track (FLAIRS-28), CaRR (ECIS 2015), SPS (SIGIR 2015), IntRS (RecSys 2015), Hypertext 2015 Doctoral Consortium
- Journals: International Journal of Human-Computer Studies (IJHCS), User Modeling and User-Adapted Interaction (UMUAI), Decision Analysis, ACM Transactions on Interactive Intelligent Systems (TiiS), ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology (TIST), Information Systems Research (ISR), Management Information Systems Quarterly (MISQ), Communications of the Association for Information Systems (CAIS), Open Journal of Information Systems (OJIS), Journal of Organizational Computing and E-Commerce (JOCEC), Annals of Telecommunications (ANTE), Web Intelligence and Agent Systems (WIAS), IEEE Pervasive Computing, Information & Management, Computers & Society.
- Conferences: CHI, CSCW, ICWSM, Ubicomp, ICIS, AMCIS, ECIS, PACIS, RecSys, UMAP, SOUPS, PETS, Pervasive, Pervasive Health, IiiX, SocialCom, EC-Web, IFIP Dewald Roode workshop.